From the time you are pregnant till the time baby is born and beyond the shopping list is endless. Its very difficult for the parents to decide what to buy, when to buy that and if so, where to buy.
I hereby make it easier for you not only with the list, but also the best to buy from the right portal at the best price..
RECOMMENDED BOOKS DURING PREGNANCY
What to expect when you are expecting
Ayurvedic Garbha Sanskar : The Art and Science of Pregnancy (English)
Your Pregnancy Week-by-week (English)
Yoga in Pregnancy and Childbirth (English)
Chicken Soup For The Expectant Mothers Soul (English)
1. Linea Nigra
A dark brown vertical line which appears in the abdomen , starts from your lower abdomen and runs through your navel and in some cases across the breastline…Its nothing to be worried about it occurs due to an increase in a hormone called melanocyte which is created by placenta, the same hormone is responsible for darkening of nipples too. This would disappear automatically post delivery, for some in few months and in some rare cases by an year.
Placenta is an organ that connects the developing fetus to the uterine wall. This allows nutrients uptake via mothers blood supply, develops resistance against any internal infection and produces necessary hormones to support pregnancy. An average placenta size ranges from 9 inches in length and 1 inch in thickness.
However, did you know that you still have to deliver the placenta after you vaginally push the baby out. It would be surprising for you at the operation table when the doctor further asks you to push to get the placenta out. For some it can be delivered quickly and almost painlessly but in rare cases it may take a longer time to push it out.
3. Delivery date / Due date
40 weeks to deliver and that what we all look forward to, however the fact is only 5 % of women give birth on their due dates. Wondering what about the rest ?
A baby is considered full term anytime between 38- 40 weeks
Late preterm : 34- 37 weeks
Preterm: If you go into labor before 34 weeks..
Post term : If the baby is born after 40 weeks gestation.
Premature : Babies born before 25 weeks
A baby can be born any time after 24 weeks ! So dont ignore contractions or any signs of labor…
- Immature Lungs
- Inability to maintain body heat
- Digestive Problems
- Breathing difficulties
There are few things you can do to lower the risk :
- Quit smoking & Say no to alcohol and limit your caffeine
- Exercise adequately. 30- 45 mins of walk every day proves to be effective ( If advisable by your doctor )
- Take a balanced diet (will cover in detail on the the diet chart in another post )
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids ( Atleast 8 glasses of water )
- Take prenatal vitamins throughout the pregnancy ( iron, calcium, vitamin D, folic acid as prescribed by the doctor )
- Go to all your prenatal check-ups without fail ( will cover in detail on the check ups in another post )
- Don’t ignore any signs of labor.
She hates wearing a cap…doesn’t like getting dressed up…
wont let me apply kajal on forehead…loves massages and diapering…
gazes and smiles at fan light and teddy bear in d room…
sleeps with her hands in the hands up position…practises drinking milk pout while asleep…
poses better with dad…Doesn’t nag or cry unnecessarily…
signals with a unique meow when hungry…and a different meow when needs a nappy change..
sleeps all thru the night and lets me sleep too..
Babies such a bliss..
For those who conceived without planning and without much a mess… conceiving is a mere cakewalk…for other may not be…
I would list down some 10 simple steps which would help and lay down the track in right direction for the ones who wish to conceive.
1. Get yourself checked – Well many hesitate to go to a gynecologist thinking either there isn’t anything wrong with them or being scared of what if there is a problem. Its good if there’s a problem as it would have a solution too… So leave behind the inhibitions and get yourself and your partner checked.
2. Ovulation tracker – Its handy and all you have to do is install this app on your mobile and it will alert you on your ovulation date. Knowing your ovulation date greatly helps you and your partner to set aside those 3 days, and if your partner has a traveling job he can plan his trip accordingly. There are several ovulation checking kits too available in medical stores and online too.
The trick for the ones who dont know when exactly is the ovulation is to track their ovulation period which would be between 11th- 15th day from the date of LMP and have sex every other day. Ideally one ovulates on 14th day, so you can schedule it 3 days before ovulation, on the ovulation date and a day or two after…As the sperm can survive in your body for 3 to 5 days…
3. Prepare yourself : If you think conceiving a healthy baby doesn’t need any preparation, then you are wrong. Keeping fit and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is very important to conceive naturally. There are several factors which contribute to a healthy sperm count and you can help you partner with them. Few are :
- Reduce alcohol intake. Occasional drinking is no harm but drinking daily can cause serious effects on testosterone levels and can reduce the sperm count. Ideally on the days close to your ovulation you can inform your partner and ask him to cut back on alcohol during those days.
- Include folic acid in your and your partners food. Lentils, beans, green veggies, citrus fruits and juices are high in folate. Apart from start having folic acid supplements atleast 6 months before you plan to conceive to increase your chances to conceive.
Ideally for any couple one year trying to conceive naturally is normal and a couple neednt panic or even consult a gynecologist. If after 1 year of trying the luck doesnt support its highly advisable to go meet a gynecologist, The complications rises with the increase in age. Fertility gets effected with age. If you are over the age of 35 and have tried for atleast 6 months and arent able to conceive then its always better to take expert advice without wasting much of a time.
Now that you are married to your sweetheart and all set to enjoy your marital life without any restrictions or whatsoever which was imposed while you were dating each other… There comes another alarm to wake you up from the so called sweetdream… That one old question from your inlaws, friends, relatives, neighbors, FB friends to the kaamwali baai… “Any good news”..
Well.. well.. for those who never thought about planning or probably before could plan the little one was already in the making it isn’t much of a hassle … But for the ones who make a 5 yr plan ( like a budget plan as our govt does ) this is the most haunting thing than an encounter with a cockroach in the basin !
There are two facets to this question… An unplanned pleasant surprise or a planned for now but not happening when needed phase..
My blog isnt going to be a to do list for the “planning to conceive” lot nor for the “expecting a baby now what next” lot, its my journey from how it happened, my delivery and postnatal phase.